This dish is something that works miraculously when anyone in my family gets a cough/cold/fever. The benefits of ajwain leaf were posted earlier and this post is about a recipe with ajwain leaf.
I make this curry when my 3 year old falls sick and she bounces back to normal within a few hours. This is an easy and tasty way to ward off cold/flu.
Both ajwain leaf and seeds contain a compound ‘thymol’ , an antibacterial essential oil which strengthens the immunity of body and heals the gut by inhibiting the growth of undesired pathogen/bacteria and helping the good flora flourish well.
The curry also contains curd/buttermilk which is a probiotic and coconut that gives right amount of fibre , fatty acids and other nutrients. The cumin seeds,turmeric and pepper boost the digestion, has anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties which helps the immune system.
While gut flora( good bacteria in intestine) is adversely affected by many medicines taken for cold/flu, this curry boosts the immune system , helps heal the gut and flourish the beneficial bacteria.
6-7 Ajwain leaves
3 tbsp of fresh grated coconut
1 tbsp each of cumin seed and pepper
A pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 cup of buttermilk
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
sprig of curry leaves
1 green chilly (optional)
Salt to taste
1 tsp of Jaggery/unrefined sugar ( optional)
- Roast the pepper and cumin seeds in a tbsp of coconut oil for 30 seconds and keep it aside.
- Wash and chop the ajwain leaves and stir fry the same till the leaves change color about 30 seconds.
- Grind the leaves, roasted cumin seeds & pepper with coconut and green chilly in a mixer/blender.
- Transfer the paste to a vessel and add a pinch of turmeric and salt.
- Boil this for a minute or two till the mixture bubbles/froths.
- Add Jaggery/brown sugar now if you like.
- Remove it from the fire and add the buttermilk and mix well.
- Temper mustard seeds in a tbsp of coconut oil, throw in some curry leaves and mix well with the boiled mixture.
Serve with hot rice or roti.
If you found this post useful, share it with your friends too.
How are you planning to boost your child/family’s immunity this season? Checkout our program on how to improve lifestyle and thus immunity in just 8 weeks.